Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2173

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 General Technical Discussions
 Internet AGPS - InstantFix / MTK v2 / gpsOneXTRA
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2006 :  22:40:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to their website and based on testing of the shipping x10 series, TomTom has postponed the launch of QuickFix.

SIF is deployed on the Mio A701 GPSPDAPhone though, see the review for more details.

Oki

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2006 :  13:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Oki's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear ETEN G500 users,

097 ROM for eten G500 is out and supports SIF. Direct Download here:
http://www.eten.ru/support/files/ETEN_G500_WWE_R11_101_0097EE.zip

You may need also the GPS firmaware update:
http://www.eten.ru/support/files/G500_GPS_firmware_update.zip.

I can not test those files since I have a Mitac Mio A701.

The page where I took those links from is:http://www.eten.ru/support/files.php?type=rom

Cheers!
Oki

EDIT: you can find mo info and and comment about ETEN G500 ROM at:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51409&whichpage=4#347839

Edited by - Oki on 04 juil. 2006 13:26:25
Go to Top of Page

Oki

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2006 :  14:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Oki's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These are, so far, my findings about SIF:

- SIF works only with COM4 because the ephemeris control algorithm runs in the PDA and not in the GPS, so it requires concurrent access to the SiRFStarIII chipset in order to control it while other GPS application is running.

- I have seen that Quick Position downloads the file Packedephemeris.ee from Mio and stores it in the \windows folder.

- When COM4 is opened by any application such as spGPSView, SirfTech or VisualGPSce, the Packedephemeris.ee file disappears and a bigger file is created with the unpacked ephemeris called ephdata.clm in the same folder, \Windows.

- The registry entries regarding these activities are inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/EE.

- Every time the COM4 port is used it opens the unpacked ephemeris data file.

- If you have a fix, receiving valid ephemerides data from the GPS constellation, then the ephdata.clm file is updated.

- If you look closer inside the ephdata.clm you will see that it begins with the following string: 1.0-BETA-C1-B022-WinCE-ARM-R. Does this mean that it is in the first stages and we will benefit of the seven days promised by SiRF in future releases?

- The NMEA SiRF-added messages related to SIF are PSRF107, PSRF108, PSRF151, PSRF152 and PSRF154.

- I do not know the DLL or service which controls the SIF processes and messages yet.

- Does SIF works while the protocol is set to Binary SiRF? iGO2006 supports SiRF protocol and it seems to run more fluid when using it. It would be nice having AGPS while iGO2006 is running in Binary SiRF mode.

If you, the reader, have more information about SiRF or Globallocate (it provides up to 10 days of ephemeris data) then please share it with us. It could be nice having Globallocate working in the A701 too and vice-versa.

Thanks,
Oki
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 05 juil. 2006 :  15:40:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting what you found about the .clm file. Not sure why they update though when there is a fix, maybe to take into account the live data for the next 4 hours, but that could be done directly at GPS module level as with standard receivers.

I can't see Globallocate's files being compatible with SiRF's files, probably some proprietary coding.

Based on my testing, we already have the benefit of the 7 days, you can see that if you try a warm reset or turn off your A701 for 4+ hours, it will fix in about 12 seconds with good signal, not possible without SIF.

I don't think it switches to SiRF binary to use SIF, the fact that iGO works is probably unrelated. There might be some optimization possible if you read the SIRF binary directly but I doubt it would have much of an impact. Back in 2002, Destinator 1 ONLY worked properly in SiRF mode, feels like another lifetime ;-)

Oki

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2006 :  00:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Oki's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

I can't see Globallocate's files being compatible with SiRF's files, probably some proprietary coding.

Based on my testing, we already have the benefit of the 7 days, you can see that if you try a warm reset or turn off your A701 for 4+ hours, it will fix in about 12 seconds with good signal, not possible without SIF.

I suppose that SIF only works if the PDA side of the algorithm matches the GPS side one. This would confirm the ROM upgrade along with a GPS FW upgrade for Eten G500. Globallocate on a SIF devoce can be done, but it would require a lot of programming in order to translate the messages.

A warm or even a cold start will not delete the almanac but what gappens if you leave the SIF information to expire after the 3rd. day?, in other words, no Quick position undates for more than 3 days. Have you tried not to update the Ephemerides during 4 days?

Regards,
Oki
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2006 :  16:03:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's I was saying in my previous message, you get the benefit of synthetic ephemeris for about 7 days, whether you get a fix or not in the meantime. Clearly the quality of the predictions goes down over time and if there is change to the course of the satellite after you download them you're SOL of course. I think both Mio and HP are being pretty conservative with their 3 days, just got a 5 second fix with the HP hw6515 with the 10 day ephemeris data showing 15 hours left only !

Oki

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  12:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Oki's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems that Globallocate AGPS software works in the Mio A701 according to some A701 users. Read here.

Maybe both systems use the same GPS side algorithm and communication protocol.

I will try to confirm this.

regards,
Oki

Edited by - Oki on 11 juil. 2006 12:27:49
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  12:38:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worth trying, but I honestly don't see how that could work. How is the GL software going to be able to connect to the SiRFstarIII module and it's not on the same COM port. I wonder is these guys aren't simply seeing a "hot fix" in action, especially since one of them says he has to download data 2/3 times a day.

I know you looked at the .ee/.clm files, do they bear any similarity to GL's LTO files ?

Oki

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  14:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Oki's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have more info about SIF.

The application involved in all this is \Windows\CLMApp.exe but its original name is CLMTestApp.exe. This application is executed each time the virtual GPS port is opened.
WinHex utility gives interesting information after a quick overview. It seems that it can be used for monitoring the SIF and general GPS activity. Its main funtions are:
- To upload the Ephemerides to the GPS
- To unpacks the downloaded ephemerides data into \Windows\ephdata.clm
- To keep updated data inside the file \Windows\ephdata.clm.

It also seems to be able to download the ephemerides data directly from Internet since it have all the strings related to download.

The quick usage information is:

Usage: CLMTestApp [-e] -rgps_port [-c] [-m]
[-a[aux_port]] [-n[tcpip_port]] [-f[log_file]]
[-sserver_address] [-pserver_port] [-dfile_name]

It is an interesting starting point for SIF investigation.

I am goint to do some test with Globallocate, maybe the ephemerides upload to the GPS is performed using the same communication protocol.

Regards,
Oki
Go to Top of Page

Oki

Spain
19 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  23:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Oki's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have just confirmed that Globallocate do NOT work in a Mio A701. Removing the ephemerides files from the \Windows folder takes the SIF away and Globallocate can not do anything.

About CLMApp, I would like to test the ETEN G500 CLM Application from its last ROM 97EE just for fun. The HW and virtual ports are different in both machines but maybe the application is called from another module of the OS with the right port mappings.

Regards,
Oki
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  03:00:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, makes sense on the lack of compatibility GL/SiRF. There should be fewer compatibility problems between the G500/A701 implementations.

aliensquale

126 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2006 :  23:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you get Sirf InstantFix to work with a Globalsat BC-337? Is SIF even out yet, I don't see any mention of it on Sirf's website... but it would definately help in my situation because currently I use the gps in my car when I leave in the morning... so it has to do a cold start because it was off all night (more than 4 hours) so the ephermiris data is outdated. Then I get the fix in about 2-5 minutes usually and go to where I need to go that day. Then I am out of my car all day for 8 hours or so, then when I get back in my car I turn on my pda again and again the ephermiris data is out of date since it's been more than 4 hours since my last use of the gps, so again it's doing a cold start and again I have to wait another 2-5 minutes for a fix. It would be great if I could download a file every 7 days and put that on my pda so the gps could use that file when it starts up.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2006 :  01:35:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, SIF is only available on GPS PDAPhones for the time being.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2006 :  14:40:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oki

The application involved in all this is \Windows\CLMApp.exe but its original name is CLMTestApp.exe. This application is executed each time the virtual GPS port is opened.

I've come across a new type of SIF implementation on the HTC P3300, not the same as A701/G500 and in fact it seems to be broken at this time with warm starts of 30/35 seconds instead fo 12/15 seconds on the Mio A701. The exe is called QuickGPS now, not CLMapp.exe. How did you figure out the commands for CLMapp.exe, are there tools that can help with that ? Did you see anything about the COM port settings too, COM2/COM4 on the Mio ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93894 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2006 :  18:09:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it seems the HTC P3300 still needs some fine tuning.

SiRFInstantFix is now available on the TomTom GO 510/710/910 with the release of v6.52.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05